Politicians like to talk about supporting families but what does it really mean?
The Smart Start campaign is based on three basic principles:
- Quality childcare and early learning is an investment in our nation’s future
- It needs to be affordable and accessible for all families
- No child should be allowed to slip through the net.
This election we are asking all candidates to make a clear commitment to families by endorsing our five-point plan for families.
1. Increase funding for early learning by at least $3.1 billion to improve affordability and accessibility.
2. Ensure all children have access to at least 2 days of early learning and care.
3. Increase participation of indigenous children in early learning.
4. Give families immediate relief to make childcare for affordable now – not in 2018.
5. Extend funding for preschool programs in the year before school.
You can help make these five priorities a reality by sending your local candidates a message that early learning and care is a key priority for you and should be for them.