How do the major parties rate on childcare this election?
We asked the major parties to respond to our 5-point plan for quality affordable childcare and early learning.
What the parties said:
1. Invest at least $3 billion to make childcare more affordable, and fund it without cuts to family payments
Committed to $3 billion investment from January 2017, not tied to cuts to family payments
Committed to $5 billion investment from July 2017, not tied to cuts to family payments
2. Provide immediate relief by increasing the Child Care Benefit (CCB) and the cap on the Child Care Rebate (CCR)
From January 2017, CCB to be increased by 15%, CCR cap to be increased from $7500 to $10000.
From July 2017, replace CCB and CCR with a new single Childcare Subsidy but with all families to be entitled to at least 24 hours of subsidised care per week.
3. Ensure all children have access to at least two days of early learning
Continue to provide 24 hours per week of CCB (i.e. two days of long day care) for families that do not meet the activity test, with a maximum hourly rate (FY19) of $5.57 on incomes of less than $44,800, tapering to zero at incomes of $154,000.
New subsidy to provide 24 hours per week (i.e. two days in long day care) for families even if they don’t meet the activity test, at a maximum hourly rate (FY19) of $10.
4. Increase participation of indigenous children in early learning
Indigenous early learning services will continue to be Budget Base Funded, with a 15% increase and access to $25m of capital grants
Indigenous early learning services will continue to be Budget Base Funded
5. Extend Federal funding for access to preschool programs beyond 2017
No commitment, but will review arrangements with the states to increase accountability and improve outcomes for children.
Funding extended to at least 2020.
For further information on the early learning and childcare policies of the major parties visit:
Nick Xenophon Team: https://nxt.org.au/whats-nxt/policy-principles/
Written and authorised by John Cherry, 43 Metroplex Avenue, Murarrie, 4172